Monday, September 8, 2008

Posta Prima Vera!

Which is Italian for first post!

And that's what this is -- a first post. Well, sorta.

See, I have this other blog at http://robdickerson.net.

The problem is that I mostly want to write about software. But I also have hobbies and a personal life and stuff, and I end up with this 80/20 split between software and personal posts.

I guess the site's identity crisis isn't a problem for my readers, because I don't have any, but it bugs me. I think most people reading the front page of robdickerson.net (if anyone ever did, which they don't) would either get bored by the software stuff or annoyed at the irrelevant personal stuff.

I know I feel that way when I read the site, and it's my own writing for crying out loud.

Anyway, I've started this blog to be a place where I can write just about software. And maybe my other site will wither and die, which would be cool, since I have better things to do than maintain a Wordpress install anyway.

Speaking of which, this seems like a good time to kind of explain what I do (software-wise).

First of all, I write code for a living.

Like -- oh, let's say 70% -- of programmers around the world, I make my living with Java. And then make up statistics about how most programmers also have to use Java, so I don't feel too bad about it.

Non-professionally, I do have the occasional Java project, but I like to work in other languages because a) it's fun, and b) I don't want to get stuck thinking in Java (or any single language) all the time. I've toyed with a bunch languages in the past, but I think my current favorites are Python and Haskell.

Of course, I have all kinds of awesome opinions about software -- opinions that are always completely right, now and forever -- that I plan on sharing here in the future.

And that's that. Welcome to Programming Rob.

No comments: